Wednesday, January 18, 2012

1. What are the reasons you put off doing academic related tasks? Identify the reasons and explain.
- Well last semester I've had lots of personal issues in determining if I wanted to stay in college or not. I really want to serve in the military so in my head I thought to just enlist, but I went to college to respect my parents wishes. Because I went to college for wrong reasons I had the wrong motivation to do homework. However, now I've decided that I will stay and be an officer after college. Not for my parents, but for me!

2. There are several ways to overcome procrastination. How do you think you could overcome procrastination?
- In my expert opinion on procrastination, believe that you got to be mentally prepared to overcome unpleasant work. Procrastination is when you find something more pleasant to do rather than the unpleasant like homework. However, once you mentally prepare yourself that some of the homework will be unpleasant and just grind through it. Then you would see yourself working harder! I guess some people want to look at homework like it should be fun, but not work. Well, at least I did.

3. In the "Overcoming Procrastination" article it stated that 90% of students procrastinate and of these students, 25% are chronic procrastinators - who usually end up dropping out of college. Where do you fit in? Explain your answer.
- Well first off I think 100% of students procrastinates, but I am not a chronic procrastinator. I say that because, I put off work more for lack of motivation, or wrong type of motivation. It just didn't matter to me. Once I made college matter to me on my personal level then doing all this work became a lot easier.

4. The "Procrastination 101: Blame it on the Computer" article talked about how easy it is for college students to waste time on the computer. Do you believe you may be wasting too much time on the computer? If so, how could you try and minimize it?
- Yes I did last semester. This semester I have minimized my computer time. I have only certain times I get on Facebook. In the morning as I wake up and during at night when I am done with my academic work day such as homework, classes, etc. Also if anyone texts me I reply with, "I am busy my I text you later." That way I won't be distracted by my phone either. A trick that helps me focus is to put on headphones and play Dubstep. There is usually no words so it helps me zone out into my work. I play it loud enough so I can't hear my surroundings.

Procrastination Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJygV0Epqc

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201109/procrastination-oops-where-did-the-day-go

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/science-and-sensibility/201006/procrastination-test-uncover-delay-patterns

No comments:

Post a Comment